Description: In this class you'll learn to knit the gorgeous unisex Lumme Sweater by Sari Nordlund. While knitting you'll learn about picking the right size for your body, knitting stranded colorwork, top-down seamless construction, and short rows. Optionally, Mel will also teach you to modify the pullover into a cardigan by steeking, to change portions of the colorwork chart to suit your aesthetic, and basic fit modifications. Lumme is written in 9 sizes with finished bust circumferences between 31.5-63" This class is for ages 16 and up.
Prior skills recommended: Basic knitting skills required.
Materials needed: Before the first session of class you'll need:
- The pattern for Lumme by Sari Nordlund, available on Ravelry or on Sari's website
- Between 625-1450 yards of worsted weight wool yarn in your main color, depending on what size you'd like to make. We recommend Cascade 220, Cascade 220 Heathers, Harrisville Highland, Gepard Woolia, or Jody Long Andeamo Lite.
- Between 175-400 yards of at least one contrasting color of the same yarn, for the colorwork section. The pattern is written for only one contrast color but you can add as many as you'd like! We recommend using the same brand and base of yarn for your contrasting color and main color.
- Knitting needles in the size required to get gauge. Sari recommends various lengths of sizes US 6 for the ribbing, US7 for stockinette, and US8 for the colorwork. You'll need to swatch to get gauge and then determine needle size from there.
- Removable stitch markers
- Waste yarn or barber cords for holding stitches
- A blunt-tipped yarn needle.
Prep work: Before the first session of class you will need to purchase at least one skein of your yarn and make at least one swatch.
When: This class takes place over three Saturdays:
- February 17 from 10:30am-1pm
- March 2 from 10:30am-1pm
- March 16 from 10:30am-1pm
Class Policies: Materials that you buy in person at Harmony for your class will be 20% off. Class fees are not refundable. Classes with 2 or fewer sign ups will be canceled, and if the class is canceled students will be notified via email 2 days before the class begins.