Description: Our resident knitting expert Mel will get you started knitting, teaching you essential techniques like casting on, casting off, knitting and purling, and reading a basic pattern. You'll start by knitting a dishcloth, then level up to knit a basic cowl in the round. We will be using the Purl Ridge Scarf pattern by Stephen West. This class is for ages 17 and up.
Prior skills recommended: None.
Materials needed: Before the first session of class you'll need:
- 32" US8 circular knitting needle
- One 100g skein of worsted weight cotton yarn
- Removable stitch markers
- Pen or pencil
- A blunt-tipped yarn needle
Before the second session of class you'll need:
- 2 skeins of worsted weight yarn, totaling at least 300 yards. (you'll use the same needles and notions from the washcloth for this second project)
Prep work: Students should have their yarn purchased and wound (if needed) before the first class begins.
When: This class takes place over three Fridays:
- January 12 from 10:30am-1pm
- January 19 from 10:30am-1pm
- January 26 from 10:30am-1pm
Class Policies: Materials that you buy at Harmony for your class will be 20% off. Class fees are not refundable. Classes with 2 or fewer sign ups will be canceled, and if the class is canceled students will be notified via email 2 days before the class begins.